Video conferences don't need to be a total drag. Here are seven fun “ice breakers” to start the meeting off with a smile:
- ‘Fess Up: You look all business from the waist up, but what's on your feet? Everyone show your fuzzy socks, bunny slippers, flip flops or whatever is (or isn't) covering the toes.
- Silver Linings: What unexpected blessing has come out of this whole “social distancing” situation? More time to play with kids/pets? No commute/traffic? Daily walks? There is goodness to be found if you're willing to recognize it.
- Hat Day: Represent your favorite sports team or university, or be silly and wear a birthday hat, ski hat with requisite pompom, sombrero, bicycle helmet… that's using your head!
- Bottoms-up: what's your beverage of choice? Coffee, tea, juice, etc. Bring it in your favorite mug or bottle for show and tell.
- Say Cheese: Share a photo of your family, pets, friends, or whoever (or whatever) makes your heart happy. Want to take it up a notch? See #6 below.
- “Bring your kid/pet to work” day: Okay, maybe not for the whole meeting, but heck, they're beating down your door looking for your attention anyway! Let them say hi to the group.
- That's Entertainment: What tv show or movie have you recently watched that you would recommend to others looking for that next binge-worthy plot or family movie night?
These little shared moments aren't just fun, they give us a chance to bond with each other in ways we probably wouldn't even have done in person, and remember that there is a whole person on the other side of that screen. (What a thought!)
What other ideas do you have? Please share them with me and keep the smiles coming, firstname.lastname@example.org